George Soros’ Soros Fund Management, which currently manages some $30 billion in assets, announced his holdings in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which requires managers to reveal what U.S. stocks they own within 45 days of the end of the quarter.
At the end of Q1 2015, Soros’s fund held shares in some 200 companies, 80 of which were added during that quarter. In all, Soros took new stakes in 90 stocks during the quarter and added to existing stakes in 42 companies while reducing or eliminating stakes in 95 firms.
Soros Fund Management, which is Herbalife’s sixth-largest owner, kept its 3.45 million share stake in that company unchanged.
Soros Fund Management bought:
George Soros more than tripled his positions in eBay. The firm held 3.32 million shares of EBay worth almost $192 million, compared to the 959, 500 shares previously held.
- 1.576 million shares of Lennar for a total stake worth $81.6 million as of March 31,
- 2.796 million shares of D.R. Horton, worth $79.6 million at the end of the quarter.
- Noble Energy to the tune of $118 million. Noble Energy is a major player in Israel’s gas exploration industry.
- He added 10.4 million shares of Cypress Semiconductor Corp. with the value of its stake increasing by $145.6 million to $186.5 million.
- He initiated a position in United Technologies by buying 32, 350 shares of the company.
- Soros added a new position in the Barclays Bank PLC iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN worth $15.86 million.
Soros Fund Management sold:
- All its $279.5 million investment in the Israeli drug company Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE: TEVA; TASE: TEVA).
- Cut its 53 percent investment in American Airlines Group Inc. by 1.7 million shares, leaving 1.6 million valued at $82.5 million, during the first quarter of 2015, and bought shares in construction companies, according to its US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing.
- 1.7 million shares in American Airlines, and is left with a stake of 1.6 million shares.
- Soros dumped 217.8 million shares of entertainment data firm Rovi.
- Soros cut his Facebook stake by 44% to 124, 114 shares worth $10.2 million.
- He trimmed Home Depot by 35% to 87, 016 shares.
- Alaska Air was slashed 89% to 60, 712 shares.
- He sold stake in Citigroup, Coco-Cola, and Delta Air Lines worth $6.3 million, $5.1 million and $8.1 million respectively.