Video and Pictures show relatives waiting outside a morgue in Almaty city to collect the bodies of relatives (screenshot)
The Chinese embassy in Kazakhstan warns there were 1,772 deaths in the first half of the year from ‘unknown pneumonia’. Many of those who have fallen sick were not diagnosed with COVID-19, RT News reported.
Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Health admitted to having both a ‘second wave’ spike in coronavirus, but also a sharp rise in pneumonia cases.
The health authorities report of more than 32,000 cases of pneumonia with 451 deaths between June 29 and July 5 alone, while the official number of coronavirus cases in Kazakhstan stands at 53,021, with 296 dead.
China, which borders Kazakhstan, has expressed deep concern over the ‘unknown pneumonia’. It said ‘The death rate of this disease is much higher than the COVID-19.’
‘The information regarding a new kind of pneumonia in Kazakhstan is incorrect,’ the ministry said according to the Daily Mail which adds that Kazakhstan said the ‘mystery’ pneumonia could be from coronavirus, but the initial tests are not showing the virus.
China’s evidence comes from Atyrau and Aktobe provinces and Shymkent city. Since mid-June, the three places had seen significant spikes in non-coronavirus pneumonia cases.
Video and Pictures show relatives waiting outside a morgue in Almaty city to collect the bodies of relatives.
Some 500 pneumonia cases had been recorded with 30-plus patients in a critical condition.
In January China said that they had discovered a new strain of coronavirus that resembled pneumonia, now known as SARS-CoV-2.
Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev announced the nation is facing the second COVID-19 wave coupled with a huge uptick in pneumonia cases,’ Russian news agency Tass reported. The country recorded on Thursday 1,962 new coronavirus cases, the highest-single day increase, Kazinform reported.