Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Jewish Business News

Leadership & A-List

Marty Markowitz named as Vice President for NYC & Company

Markowitz, who for many years was president of the Borough of Brooklyn, brings with him tremendous experience in developing tourism and other forms of economic activity. 

Please help us out :
Will you offer us a hand? Every gift, regardless of size, fuels our future.
Your critical contribution enables us to maintain our independence from shareholders or wealthy owners, allowing us to keep up reporting without bias. It means we can continue to make Jewish Business News available to everyone.
You can support us for as little as $1 via PayPal at
Thank you.

Barclay's New Year's Eve Concert Announcement

Marty Markowitz, who recently stepped down as Brooklyn Borough President, has been appointed to the role of Vice President for  NYC & Company, with special responsibility for the important issues of tourism and other forms of economic activity throughout the five boroughs of New York.

NYC & Co were formed in 2005 as an autonomous non-profit company to provide marketing and tourism services for the city. Around 40% of its annual funding budget of $30 million comes from the city itself with the remaining 60% being raised raised through sponsorship and individual contributors.

In his new role as NYC & Company’s Vice President, Borough Promotion and Engagement, Markowitz will be looking to increase dialogue with bodies involved in the tourism  industry not just in ever popular in Manhattan, but across all of the five boroughs, through the recently formed “Neighborhood x Neighborhood” campaign, designed to encourage travel between Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island and queens as well as Manhattan.

Announcing Markowitz’s  appointment, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio stated that Marty has been a tireless champion not only for Brooklyn but for  all of New York City.  “Marty will be an outstanding asset as NYC & Company bringing with him a wealth of public sector experience to and we look to further build on his efforts to expand five-borough tourism and encourage more travel to every corner of our City.” Summed up Mayor de Blasio.

Accepting the appointment Marty Markowitz expressed his  enthusiasm by stating that NYC & Company has rightfully gained a reputation as one of the world’s leading municipal marketing and tourism organizations, and he was honored and humbled to join their talented team to build on the excellent work they have done to position New York City as a vibrant and welcoming five-borough destination. “New York is America’s national city and our country’s top international travel destination, and in my new role, I look forward to helping NYC & Company keep it that way.” Marty went on to add.


Marty Markowitz,  a former Borough President of Brooklyn, New York City, the most populous borough in New York City with more than 2.5 million residents, was first elected borough president in 2001 after serving 23 years in the  New York State Senate. His third term began in January 2010 and ended in December 2013.

Born and raised in Brooklyn, Marty Markowitz  knew hard times as a child, yet showed the tremendous determination that characterized his long career in public service by working during the day  and attending night classes at the local Brooklyn College eventually being awarded a bachelor’s degree in Political Science in 1970, after 9 years of study.

The following year Markowitz began his public service career aged just  26, when he formed the Flatbush Tenants Council  to protect the interests of the neighborhood, one of the largest in Brooklyn. From Flatbush, the council grew into the Brooklyn Housing and Family Services, which till today remains one of the largest tenant advocacy organizations throughout the entire New York State.

While still in his early thirties, Markowitz  was elected to become a member of the New York State Senate, representing Brooklyn, where was  to remain for the next 20 years.

Markowitz was first elected to the role of president of Brooklyn borough in 2001, running on a Democratic ticket, been re-elected four years later , gaining a stunning 79% of the vote.




You May Also Like

World News

In the 15th Nov 2015 edition of Israel’s good news, the highlights include:   ·         A new Israeli treatment brings hope to relapsed leukemia...


The Movie The Professional is what made Natalie Portman a Lolita.


After two decades without a rating system in Israel, at the end of 2012 an international tender for hotel rating was published.  Invited to place bids...

VC, Investments

You may not become a millionaire, but there is a lot to learn from George Soros.

Copyright © 2021 Jewish Business News