Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Jewish Business News


Report: Woodside withholds $696 million Leviathan payment

“The Australian”: Woodside was expecting at least half of the gas to be available for the more lucrative export market.

Please help us out :
Will you offer us a hand? Every gift, regardless of size, fuels our future.
Your critical contribution enables us to maintain our independence from shareholders or wealthy owners, allowing us to keep up reporting without bias. It means we can continue to make Jewish Business News available to everyone.
You can support us for as little as $1 via PayPal at
Thank you.


“The Australian” reports that Woodside Petroleum Ltd. (ASX: WPL) is holding back an A$765 million (US $696 million) initial payment for 30% of the rights to the Leviathan project, two weeks after the Israeli government decided to keep a larger than expected amount of gas for domestic consumption. It adds that Woodside would not comment on why it still had not made the initial payment.
“The Australian” says that Woodside was understood to be expecting at least half of the gas to be available for the more lucrative export market. However, in June, the Israeli cabinet last month approved exporting 40% of natural gas and setting aside the remaining 60% for domestic needs for 25 years.
Since Woodside agreed to acquire the Leviathan stake from Noble Energy Inc. (NYSE: NBL), Delek Group Ltd. (TASE: DLEKG), and Ratio Oil Exploration (1992) LP (TASE:RATI.L) for $1.4 billion in December 2012, the Australian dollar has fallen over 12% against the US dollar. “The Australian” cites analysts as saying that Woodside might have to go back over the numbers to see if the joint venture project is still viable.



You May Also Like

World News

In the 15th Nov 2015 edition of Israel’s good news, the highlights include:   ·         A new Israeli treatment brings hope to relapsed leukemia...


The Movie The Professional is what made Natalie Portman a Lolita.


After two decades without a rating system in Israel, at the end of 2012 an international tender for hotel rating was published.  Invited to place bids...

VC, Investments

You may not become a millionaire, but there is a lot to learn from George Soros.