You wouldn’t really think there could be that much difference between turn-by-turn navigation apps, but even just a glance at Google Maps and Waze shows how different they are. They might both be owned by the same company, but they work completely differently.
- Waze is a turn-by-turn navigation app that focuses on a social network where drivers can share information about accidents, police officers, road closures, and more. It is solely for navigation by car.
- Google Maps is much more akin to a traditional map, has a variety of transportation options, and is packed with additional information about businesses, monuments, and everything else you’re used to seeing in a map app.
- Navigation options for driving, biking, walking, and using public transportation
- Voice navigation options for driving, biking, and walking
- Live traffic conditions, incident reports, and optional rerouting
- Business information for millions of places
- Integration with Google Street View
- Offline mode with turn-by-turn navigation
- Displays business hours in searches and alerts you if you’ll arrive too late
- Shows you which lane to drive in
- Shows map information when looking at different routing options
- Tracks and saves location data over times
- Social network integration that includes live traffic reporting from other users
- Ability to send live, updating information with your ETA to friends
- Additional celebrity voice navigation options
- Learns frequent destinations, commuting hours, and preferred routes
- Easily search for the cheapest gas on a route
- Traffic jam indicator counts down the time you’ll be in a jam