If you really think drinking Coca-Cola is good for your health, you probably need to think again.
A new graphic compiled by The Renegade Pharmacist, a blog run by a former UK pharmacist, shows how a single can of Coke affects your body within an hour of its intake.
The blog claims that one would normally throw up because of the overwhelming sweetness of the drink but only because of the phosphoric acid we can take it down as it cuts the flavour.
Read: Summer thirst quencher: Pineapple ginger and lemon juice
Blood sugar levels rise as you get a caffeine hit in the next 40 minutes of the intake, it adds.
It goes on to make a horrible disclosure that your body ups the dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centres of brain which is physically the same way heroin works.
The pharmacist has established through research and experience that the consumption of high fructose corn syrup, available in higher quantities in fizzy drinks, is one of the major causes of obesity.
He advises his patients to stop their consumption of fizzy drinks like Coca-Cola and instead swap it with either plain water, or add some freshly squeezed lemon for flavour.
Read: World Milk Day: Experts say milk essential to ending malnutrition
The pharmacist concludes that regular consumption of such ingredients in high quantities you find in Coke and other processed foods and drink, can lead to higher blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
Here are the seven breakdowns which happen when somebody drinks a can of Coke or any similar sugar caffeine drink:
1. In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
2. 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
3. 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
4. 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centres of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
5. >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
6. >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
7. >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
This article originally appeared on The Renegade Pharmacist.