The following are the top five new positions or position increases in John Paulson’s portfolio:
1. Allergan (AGN) is the 3rd largest holding for Paulson, and was a new buy at 5.6 million shares, comprising 4.1% of Paulson’s portfolio. Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square Capital is also a major holder of Allergan shares, and he is pressuring the company to sell itself to Valeant. Allergan has seen 4.7% revenue growth, earnings per share increases of 17.1% and the stock has risen 84.52% in the past year
2. DirecTV (DTV) is 3.7% of Paulson’s portfolio, and is a new buy at 10 million shares. It has seen an earnings growth of 34% and a 48.46% growth in gross profit margins.
3. Shire (SHPG) comprises 3.4% of Paulson’s portfolio, and he increased this position 33.1% to 3.4 million shares. Revenue growth rose 4.7% , and earnings growth was 75.81%. The stock has risen 121.03% in the last year.
4. Cobalt (CIE) is 3.3% of Paulson’s portfolio at 41 million shares. The stock has risen 50.3% over the last year.
5. Covidien (COV) is 2.7% of Paulson’s portfolio at 7 million shares. COV was a new buy for the fund, and the stock has jumped 45.27% since last year. Revenue increased 4.3% and earnings per share declined 21.2%. Gross profit margin was strong at 65.07.