When The Sunday Times Rich List started in 1989 Queen Elizabeth II was the wealthiest person in the UK. In 2015 Queen Elizabeth was not even ranked amongst the list’s top 300.
Today Businessman Jim Ratcliffe (Chemicals) is the richest person in the UK with £21.05 billion to his name. He is also the first UK-born to top the Rich List since the Duke of Westminster in 2003.
Will you offer us a hand? Every gift, regardless of size, fuels our future.
Your critical contribution enables us to maintain our independence from shareholders or wealthy owners, allowing us to keep up reporting without bias. It means we can continue to make Jewish Business News available to everyone.
You can support us for as little as $1 via PayPal at email@example.com.
Last year Ratcliffe was ranked 18th. His wealth has increased by £15 billion since then.
Jewish-Ukrainian businessman mogul Sir Len Blavatnik came in 3rd place with £15.26 billion.
Sir Philip Green‘s estimated wealth fell by £787 million to £2 billion – partly because of his decision to contribute £363 million to the BHS pension deficit.
Here’s a list of the 20 richest people who made 2018’s list:
1. Jim Ratcliffe is worth £21.05 billion (Chemicals)
2. Sri and Gopi Hinduja are worth £20.64 billion (Industry, Finance)
3. Leonard (len) Bavatnik is worth £15.259 billion (Investment, Music, Media)
4. David and Simon Reuben are worth £15.096 billion (Property, Internet)
5. Lakshmi Mittal and family is worth £14.667 billion (Steel) they provide steel for one in four of the world’s cars
6. Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho are worth £11.1 billion (brewing, banking inheritance)
Property boom pushes Reuben brothers to top of Britan rich list
7. Kirsten Rausing and Jörn Rausing are worth £10.84 billion (inheritance, investments)
8. Alisher Usmanov is worth £10.556 billion (Mining, Investment)
9. Galen Weston and George G. Weston and family are worth £10.05 billion (food, retail)
10. The Duke of Westminster is worth £9.964 billion (Property)
11. Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli is worth £9.659 billion (Pharmaceuticals)
12. Sir James Dyson and family is worth £9.5 billion
Len Blavatnik is Britain’s richest man with a £13.17 billion fortune
13. Roman Abramovich and Hans Rausing and family 13th place with £9.333 billion
15. Sir David and sir Frederick Barclay are worth £7.4 billion
16. Andy Currie and John Reece are in joint 16th place with £7 billion
18. Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family are worth £6.747 billion (Hotels, Food, Industry)
19. John Fredriksen and family are worth £6.703 billion (Shipping, Oil services)
20. Earl Cadogan and family are worth £6.7billion
Len Blavatnik is Britain’s second richest: The Sunday Times Rich List 2017
Here Are The Top 20 Wealthiest In The 2017 Sunday Times Rich List:
1 Sri and Gopi Hinduja (Industry, Finance)
2 Len Blavatnik (Investment, Music, Media)
3 David and Simon Reuben (Property, Internet)
4 Lakshmi Mittal and family (Steel)
5 Alisher Usmanov (Mining, Investment)
6 Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli (Pharmaceuticals)
7 Guy, George and Galen Jr Weston and family (Retailing)
8 Kirsten and Jorn Rausing (Inheritance, Investment)
9 The Duke of Westminster and the Grosvenor family (Property)
10 Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho (Inheritance, Brewing, Banking)
11 Hans Rausing and family (Packaging)
12 John Fredriksen and family (Shipping, Oil services)
13 Roman Abramovich (Industry, Oil)
14 Sir James Dyson and family (Household goods, Technology)
15 Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay (Property, Media, Internet retailing)
16 Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family (Hotels, Food, Industry)
17 Earl Cadogan and family (Property)
18 Jim Ratcliffe (Chemicals)
19 Nicky Oppenheimer and family (Mining, Diamonds)
20 Carrie and Francois Perrodo and family (Oil, Gas, Wine)