Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Jewish Business News

Real Estate

Japan builds the world’s tallest wooden skyscraper

Wooden Skyscraper


Japan’s Sumitomo Forestry, a timber and construction products company, plans to build a 70-story wooden skyscraper in Tokyo. 90 percent of the building dubbed the “W350 Project”, will be wood, and the remaining 10 percent steel and will withstand the frequent earthquakes that plague the area.

“The aim is to create an environmentally-friendly cities where they become forests through increased use of wooden architecture for high-rise buildings,” the comapy said in a statment.

Please help us out :
Will you offer us a hand? Every gift, regardless of size, fuels our future.
Your critical contribution enables us to maintain our independence from shareholders or wealthy owners, allowing us to keep up reporting without bias. It means we can continue to make Jewish Business News available to everyone.
You can support us for as little as $1 via PayPal at
Thank you.

The tower will include, according to plan, offices, shops, hotel and residential apartments. Balconies will surround the building from all four sides, and it will be covered with vegetation from the ground up to the top floor and the roof.

“The internal structure will be made entirely of wood, and will create a calm space resulting from the warmth and gentleness of the wood,” Sumitomo said.


The cost of the project – which will require 185,000 cubic meters of wood – is estimated at 600 billion yen ($5.6 billion), which is double the cost of a conventional high-rise building constructed, of the same size, with current technology.

However, it is possible that in the end, the costs will be lower thanks to technological progress from now until 2041, the planned date for completion of the W350 project, which is slated to open to mark the 350th anniversary of the Sumitomo Corporation, founded in 1691.

Tall wooden structures already exist around the world, ranging from an 18-story office tower in Minneapolis to a British Columbia University student dormitory building in Vancouver, Canada, which is 53 meters high and now holds the world’s tallest wooden structure.

At the same time, the city of Chicago is considering a plan to build a wooden skyscraper at a height of 244 meters.



You May Also Like

World News

In the 15th Nov 2015 edition of Israel’s good news, the highlights include:   ·         A new Israeli treatment brings hope to relapsed leukemia...


The Movie The Professional is what made Natalie Portman a Lolita.


After two decades without a rating system in Israel, at the end of 2012 an international tender for hotel rating was published.  Invited to place bids...

VC, Investments

You may not become a millionaire, but there is a lot to learn from George Soros.