Earlier this year, Donna Karan step down as the lead designer of her $3 billion empire to devote more time to the Urban Zen Foundation.
Donna Karan’s namesake brand dressing everyone you just name it from Bill and Hillary Clinton, Jennifer Lopez and Reese Witherspoon.
Will you offer us a hand? Every gift, regardless of size, fuels our future.
Your critical contribution enables us to maintain our independence from shareholders or wealthy owners, allowing us to keep up reporting without bias. It means we can continue to make Jewish Business News available to everyone.
You can support us for as little as $1 via PayPal at email@example.com.
In an interview with Barbara Walters for the ABC News special, “Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2015, ” the fashion mogul discussed how she went from never wanting to be a working mom to revolutionizing the way women dressed.
Watch the ABC News special, “Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2015, ” on Thursday, Dec. 17 at 9:30 p.m. ET on ABC.
- “My father died when I was 3 years old, and my mother being a working woman, I felt very lonely, ” Karan told Walters. “Coming from a working woman’s family, I promised that I would never have a child and work.”
- That all changed when Karan, who was working for designer Anne Klein, got pregnant by her first husband Mark Karan.
- The same week their daughter Gabby was born, Anne Klein died. Donna Karan, then just 25, was left in charge of the brand.
- “There I was, the woman who would never be a working woman, back at work in one week and a collection due, ” said Karan.
- She went on to launch her own line, Donna Karan International, and then another more casual line, DKNY. She later started her Urban Zen Foundation, which supports artists, healthcare and education in countries like Haiti.
- Donna Karan and Mark Karan divorced in 1978, and she later married artist Stephan Weiss, her partner in life and work. The two were married for 18 years until Weiss’ death from lung cancer in 2001.
- “Right now I’m looking at the next phase, but I’m also looking at myself and what do I want, ” said Donna Karan.