Published On: Fri, Sep 18th, 2015

Carnegie Hall Chairman Ron Perelman steps down as he calls for probe

The billionaire said he was frustrated in the role. The move comes as the organization's executive committee agreed to investigate the venue's finances.

T.J. Martell Foundation Celebrates 30th Anniversary Gala - Arrivals

Billionaire Ronald O. Perelman who became chairman of Carnegie Hall in February, announced he will step down next month, because he had been frustrated that they had been slow to investigate his concerns about the governance of the hall.

Mr. Perelman, 72, announced his decision Thursday at a meeting of the board’s executive committee, according to media reports.

He opened the meeting by saying that he was frustrated in the role he’s held and wouldn’t stand for re-election next month.

Mr. Perelman had accused Carnegie’s executive and artistic director, Clive Gillinson, of a “troubling lack of transparency” and had criticized the board for failing to provide “appropriate oversight.” But board members, many of whom apparently supported Mr. Gillinson, delayed appointing a lawyer to investigate Mr. Perelman’s concerns.

The committee said that it hired Howard E. Heiss of O’Melveny & Myers LLP to lead the investigation into allegations Mr. Perelman made in a Sept. 16 letter that the concert hall wasn’t transparent about its finances. Mr. Perelman questioned the handling of related-party transactions by Clive Gillinson, Carnegie Hall’s executive and artistic director, said Bloomberg.

Read more about: , ,

Wordpress site Developed by Fixing WordPress Problems