Freeport-McMoRan Inc. is working with JPMorgan Chase & Co. to review its strategy after billionaire activist investor Carl Icahn bought a stake in the company, people familiar with the matter said.
Freeport, the world’s biggest publicly traded copper producer, may consider options including cost cuts and capital reduction plans, as well as asset sales, the people said, asking not to be identified as the information is private. Freeport’s discussions with its advisers are at an early stage and no decisions have been made, the people said.
Representatives for Freeport and JPMorgan declined to comment.
- Why Are Warren Buffett and Carl Icahn Doubling Down on These 3 … TheStreet.com
- Icahn and Buffett calm Houston energy investors Houston Business Journal
- Do Buffett and Icahn buys signal commodity bottom? CNBC
- Billionaires Buffett and Icahn Bottom Picking These Energy Stocks Forbes
- Carl Icahn’s Playing a Risky Game in the Energy Sector TheStreet.com