Osteria Francescana Is Named the World’s Best Restaurant
- Massimo Bottura’s restaurant in Modena, Italy, takes the No.1 spot in annual ranking for the first time
- French chef Alain Passard of Arpège is The Diners Club Lifetime
- Dominique Crenn is named The World’s Best Female Chef 2016
- Pierre Hermé wins The World’s Best Pastry Chef Award, sponsored by Cacao Barry
- NYC’s Eleven Madison Park wins inaugural Ferrari Trento Art of Hospitality Award
- Joan Roca wins Chefs’ Choice Award, sponsored by Estrella Damm
- The Clove Club in London wins Highest New Entry Award, sponsored by John Paul
- Maido in Peru takes Highest Climber Award, sponsored by Lavazza
- Relae in Copenhagen wins Sustainable Restaurant Award for second year
- Den, Tokyo, is the One To Watch, sponsored by Miele
Tonight, Italian restaurant Osteria Francescana was named the best resturant on the planet at the World’s 50 Best Restaurant Awards, an annual tradition in the culinary world.
The world-famous restaurant of Massimo Bottura has been waiting in the wings for the No.1 spot after sitting at No.3 in 2013 and 2014 and stepping up to No.2 in last year‟s ranking.
Featuring restaurants from 23 countries spread across six continents, the list provides an annual snapshot of the greatest gastronomic experiences across the globe.
This year, the awards were hosted in New York for the first time as 50 Best begins a global tour of gastronomic destinations.
Chef-owner Massimo Bottura is renowned for his twists on traditional Italian culinary ingredients – his Five Ages of Parmigiano Reggiano sees the region‟s famed cheese served in forms and textures most diners will never have previously experienced.
His menu also includes deliciously executed classics such as tagliatelle with hand-chopped ragu and risotto cooked with veal jus.
The chef‟s ambitious creations perfectly balance the demands of honouring heritage while embracing modernity.
With four restaurants making the top 50, 2016 is proving to be a great year for Italian cuisine: Le Calandre in Rubano, Piazzo Duomo in Alba, Combal Zero in Rivoli.
Also has plenty to celebrate with three restaurants in the top 10 including last year’s No.1 El Celler de Can Roca (now at No.2), Asador Etxebarri, Mugaritz, Barcelona’s Tickets by Albert Adrià, 2015’s World’s Best Pastry Chef.
Can rejoice with three of its chefs taking home individual awards. Renowned pâtissier Pierre Hermé claims the 2016 World’s Best Pastry Chef Award.
Alain Passard, who celebrates 30 years of his globally acclaimed Paris restaurant, Arpège, takes the 2016 Diners Club Lifetime Achievement Award. French-born chef Dominique Crenn, based in San Francisco, is recognised as The World’s Best Female Chef while Mirazur in Menton moves into the top 10.
boasts a total of six restaurants on the list including former One To Watch winner Saison in San Francisco, which is one of four new entries to the list (along with four re-entries).
New York’s Estela is also a newcomer, while Alinea in Chicago also sees the introduction of a new addition to The World’s 50 Best Restaurants portfolio: The Ferrari Trento Art of Hospitality Award, and Eleven Madison Park in New York.
Celebrates five restaurants from across the continent on the list. A new entry in 2015, Maido from Peru takes the Highest Climber Award. Fellow Lima restaurant Central. Three Mexican restaurants also move up the ranking.
Six restaurants from Asia feature on the list this year. Narisawa in Tokyo, Restaurant André in Singapore and Amber in Hong Kong are both high risers.
Also has plenty to celebrate with five restaurants on this list. Former No.1 Noma now sits at No.5, as fellow Danish restaurant Geranium makes a high re-entry.
There is another impressive re-entry to the list for Netherlands’ De Librije. Last year’s winner of the Sustainable Restaurant Award, Copenhagen’s Relae, reclaims the title for 2016. Sweden’s Fäviken sits close by.
The Clove Club in the UK wins the Highest New Entry Award after entering the list at No.26. Brett Graham’s The Ledbury in London also climbs six places to No.14.
Current Ranking. Restaurant. (Last Year’s Ranking)
1. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy (2)
2. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain (1)
3. Eleven Madison Park, New York (5)
4. Central, Lima (4)
5. Noma, Copenhagen (3)
6. Mirazur, Menton, France (11)
7. Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain (6)
8. Narisawa, Tokyo (8)
9. Steirereck, Vienna (15)
10. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain (13)
11. D.O.M, São Paulo (9)
12. Quintonil, Mexico City, Mexico (35)
13. Maido, Lima (44)
14. The Ledbury, London (20)
15. Alinea, Chicago (26)
16. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu, Spain (19)
17. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy (27)
18. White Rabbit, Moscow (23)
19. L’Arpège, Paris (12)
20. Amber at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong (38)
21. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain (17)
22. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town, South Africa (28)
23. Gaggan, Bangkok (10)
24. Le Bernardin, New York (18)
25. Pujol, Mexico City (16)
26. The Clove Club, London (55)
27. Saison, San Francisco (56)
28. Geranium, Copenhagen (51)
29. Tickets, Barcelona (42)
30. Astrid y Gaston, Lima (14)
31. RyuGin, Tokyo (29)
32. Restaurant Andre, Singapore (46)
33. Attica, Melbourne (32)
34. Tim Raue, Berlin (52)
35. Vendôme, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany (30)
36. Borago, Santiago, Chile (42)
37. Nahm, Bangkok (22)
38. De Librije, Zwolle, Netherlands (71)
39. Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy (34)
40. Relae, Copenhagen (45)
41. Faviken, Jarpen, Sweden (25)
42. Ultra Violet, Shanghai (24)
43. Restaurante Biko, Polanco, Mexico (37)
44. Estela, New York (90) – NEW
45. Dinner, London (7)
46. Combal Zero, Rivoli, Italy (65)
47. Schloss Schauenstein in Furstenau, Switzerland (48)
48. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, New York (49)
49. QuiqueDacosta, Denia, Spain (39)
50. Septime, Paris (57)
The previously announced winners of places 51 – 100:
51. Maní, São Paulo, Brazil (41)
52. Per Se, New York, USA (40)
53. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium (54)
54. The Jane, Antwerp, Belgium – NEW
55. Nerua, Bilbao, Spain (68)
56. Mikla, Istanbul, Turkey (96)
57. L’Astrance, Paris, France (36)
58. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris, France (47)
59. Martín Berasategui, Lasarte-Oria, Spain (61)
60. Hedone, London, UK (60)
61. Maaemo, Oslo, Norway (64)
62. La Grenouillère, La Madelaine Sous Montreuil, France
63. Aqua, Wolfsburg, Germany (33)
64. Lasai, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – NEW
65. Lyle’s, London, UK – NEW
65. Brae, Birregurra, Australia (87)
67. The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, USA (72)
68. Tegui, Buenos Aires, Argentina (83)
69. Epicure, Paris, France – NEW
70. Burnt Ends, Singapore, Singapore – NEW
Daniel’s dining room.
Daniel’s dining room. Photographer: Eric Laignel/Courtesy of Daniel
71. Daniel, New York, USA (80)
72. Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris, France – NEW
73. Hertog Jan, Bruges, Belgium (53)
74. Le Chateaubriand, Paris, France (21)
75. Twins, Moscow, Russia – NEW
76. La Colombe, Cape Town, South Africa
77. Den, Tokyo, Japan – NEW
78. Belcanto, Lisbon, Portugal (91)
79. DiverXO, Madrid, Spain (59)
80. L’Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon Paris, Paris, France (63)
81. Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare, New York, USA – NEW
82. Hajime, Osaka, Japan (86)
83. Manresa, Los Gatos, USA (100)
84. Reale, Castel Di Sangro, Italy – NEW
85. The French Laundry, Yountville, USA (50)
86. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China (62)
87. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India (77)
88. Die Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn, Germany
89. Benu, San Francisco, USA – NEW
89. Zuma, Dubai, UAE (88)
91. St John, London, UK (92)
92. Quintessence, Tokyo, Japan – NEW
93. Daniel Berlin, Skåne Tranås, Sweden – NEW
94. Bras, Laguiole, France – NEW
95. L’Effervescence, Tokyo, Japan (85)
96. Cosme, New York, USA – NEW
97. Momofuku Ko, New York, USA (69)
98. Quay, Sydney, Australia (58)
99. La Petite Maison, Dubai, UAE
100. Chestnaya Kuhnya, Moscow, Russia – NEW